Advanced level Programmes in Nigeria
NIGERIAN A’LEVEL PROGRAMME
This post is all about the various advanced level programmes offered by tertiary institutions in Nigeria, that can be used for Direct entry admission into 200 level of any university and accredited by the Nigerian University Commission [NUC].
Lets start by explaining the term Advanced Level Programme.
What is A Level?
According to the British curriculum,
A Levels are a college or sixth form leaving qualification offered in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland. These are not compulsory, unlike GCSEs. In Scotland, A Levels are also offered by selected schools as an alternative school-leaving qualification in place of the Scottish Advanced Higher. There are five main Alevel examination boards which administer British A Levels in the UK and the most popular in Nigeria of the five is Oxford, Cambridge and RSA Examinations (OCR). [ VIA Wikipedia ]
A Levels In Nigeria.
Just like the Foreign structure, some institutions in Nigeria have all team up to establish advanced level programmes that allows interested candidate to study and gain admission into any of their affiliated institution. So, lets get started with Alevel programmes in NIGERIA.
It is good to highlight that the first alevel programme in Nigeria is IJMB.
What is IJMB? Why is IJMB Relevant?
IJMB is an acronym for Interim Joint Matriculation Board.
IJMB was set up in 1974 under statute 5 of the Ahmadu Bello University Law to run the Interim Joint Matriculation Board Examination (IJMBE) as an equivalent ‘A’ Level Examination, to students or candidates who may wish to seek undergraduate admission into Ahmadu Bello University and other Universities.
IJMB is a one year course designed to serve as intermediate course of study to train students from various institutions based on a syllabus to gain insight into basic tools of seventeen subjects for taking up advance studies in divert profession in any Nigerian Universities at 200 levels.
IJMB is over 40 years in existence, but the irony is that very few Nigerians know about it. According to EducoreNigeria IJMB is the best and leading a level programme in Nigeria because it is very cheap and affordable, accepted in most universities in Nigeria and fully approved by JAMB and NUC for direct entry admission into university in Nigeria.
IJMB Examination is conducted yearly, essentially for Advanced Level (A/L) subjects for candidates already admitted by colleges affiliated to the Board for the purpose of the examinations. In addition, two Ordinary Level (O/L) subjects (English and Mathematics) are also offered for candidates who may be deficient in these two O/L subjects.
WHY EDUCORE NIGERIA RECOMMENDS IJMB.
For anyone seeking to gain admission into university in Nigeria and not financially buoyant, IJMB is a choice as we have accredited centers who allow their students to pay their school fees gradually upto 3 times installment if so desired
Another reason you should consider IJMB is because the programme is old and its syllabus is wholesomely detailed.
The fact is that most First class students of Nigerian universities are products of IJMB. The period of studying IJMB really helps the student to prepare for their university work and everything becomes simple after IJMB exposure.
Another reason for IJMB is that your IJMB certificate is valid for life and can be used for admission into any university. No limit!
HOW CAN I APPLY FOR IJMB?
To apply for IJMB, kindly follow the instruction (HERE).
Be duly aware that there are loads of IJMB impostors online. The IJMB as at the time of writing this report has no official website online. Beware of anyone with www.IJMB this and that .com . You have yourself to blame if you fall into the wrong hands. CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR IJMB
The second A Level Programme In Nigeria is JUPEB
What is JUPEB?
The meaning of JUPEB is Joint Universities Preliminary Examinations Board
JUPEB is a national examinations body approved by the Federal Government of Nigeria in December 2013. It was formally established in April 2014 by a consortium of ten (10) partnering universities led by the University of Lagos.a
The JUPEB programme is an advanced level program of 9- 10 months that allows interested candidate to gain admission into 2oo level of any JUPEB’s approved institution without writing JAMB UTME. As stated ealier JUPEB program is moderated by the University of Lagos
DURATION OF JUPEB
The JUPEB programme lasts for nine (9) months divided into two semesters. During this period, students are exposed to intensive lectures from Mondays to Friday every week in line with the JUPEB Syllabus.
HOW TO APPLY FOR JUPEB
Sorry, We do not enroll students for JUPEB NOW. Kindly complete your registration at any of the JUPEB affiliated universities or read on our partner blog >>>>JUPEB ADMISSION UPDATES
IMPORTANCE OF JUPEB
- JUPEB certificate is accepted in over 95% of the universities in Nigeria for direct entry (DE) admission into 2oo level.
- JUPEB candidates do not need to write UTME before gaining admission.
- The period of studying for this programmes equates the period of time spent in 100 level of any university which simply means you don’t have to waste time applying for 100 level admission.
How To Make Use Of Your JUPEB Result
To use your JUPEB result to secure admission. Here are the things to do. Obtain a Direct Entry form (DE Form) from JAMB or any JAMB DE registration center around you, fill the form appropriate with JAMB guildlines stated on the DE registration website Again, JUPEB results do not expire, you can use to gain admission even after ten years you have obtained it.
IJMB VS JUPEB
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN IJMB AND JUPEB.
- Moderation: IJMB is under the control of the Ahmadu Bello University while JUPEB is being moderated by the University of Lagos.
- Fees: IJMB fees is far cheaper than JUPEB. the cost of studying for IJMB anywhere in Nigeria is between N70,000 in public centers and N180,000 in some private institutions, while the cost for JUPEB ranges between N280,000 and N450,000 in any JUPEB affiliated institutions. Also, application form for IJMB is less than N7,000 while JUPEB is upto N25,000 . SEE JUPEB FEES HERE
- POPULARITY: In terms of popularity, IJMB is a well known programme all over Nigeria, it has been in existence since the year 1976 and so many notable Nigerians did IJMB during their undergraduate days. JUPEB on the other hand is a newly introduced programme of less than 5 years as at the time of writing this report, although it is experiencing a rapid growth all over the country.
- EXAMINATIONS: IJMB exams are conducted every February while JUPEB is done by MAY.
- Acceptability: IJMB is accepted in all universities in Nigeria except: OAU and UNILAG and few JUPEB universities . JUPEB is accepted in all JUPEB affiliated universities (check them here) you may refer to the JUPEB official website for updates on this. www.jupeb.edu.ng
What you should consider before registering for any of the above programmes.
- FINANCIAL CAPABILITIES
- THE INSTITUTION YOU WANT TO GO AFTER THE PROGRAMME
- YOUR LOCATION.
USEFUL IJMB LINKS / REFERENCES BELOW